You will need to decide which license you are wanting to pursue. The two most popular ones are the General Lines Life, Accident & Health and the General Lines Property and Casualty.
Prepare For Exam
Once you decide which license you want, you will need to begin preparing for the state exam. The State of Texas doesn’t require any pre-license training, they simply require you to pass the state exam.
The majority of the people will opt for an online insurance licensing course.
For some people, they need more of the “human touch” in a classroom setting.
The application for Resident Licensing will not be processed until the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) receives your criminal history reports from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Electronic Fingerprinting is fast and accurate, and in most cases will avoid potential delays in the processing of applications.
The process for electronic fingerprinting is as follows:
- Print and complete the FAST Pass form from TDI’s website here . You will need the information from the FAST Pass form when making your Electronic fingerprint appointment.
- Electronic fingerprinting appointments must be made through IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA (formerly known as L1 Enrollment) by calling 888-467-2080 Monday through Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM Central time, or by scheduling online at www.identogo.com . A $39.70 processing fee is required to cover the cost of the criminal history reports.
- Arrive at your electronic fingerprint appointment location with your FAST Pass form. A fingerprint technician will capture your digital fingerprints. You will also be photographed as part of the fingerprint process.
- After your fingerprints and photograph are taken, the technician will give you a receipt verifying that you were fingerprinted. Do not throw away the receipt! The information on the receipt is needed for the electronic application process. You will not get a printed fingerprint card.
Apply For Your Texas Insurance License
In Texas you can apply for your license online at www.sircon.com/texas . You will need to have already completed your fingerprints and have the receipt on hand when you are completing your application. You can complete this process even before you take your state exam.
Schedule And Take Your Exam
The TDI testing provider is Pearson VUE .
- First, review the Candidate Handbook from Pearson VUE.
- Contact Pearson VUE to make an exam reservation
- Arrive at the testing center the day examination is scheduled; and
- Submit a Pearson VUE license application to Pearson VUE